All the cool kids are doing year-end lists, so we’re jumping on board this particular train as well. You may recall we recapped our Top 5 Beers after a year of being in existence, but we have a few notable brews floating around in our brains that are worth mentioning. True, we spent most of the year Saving The Craft, but while we’re all between holidays we thought we’d mention a few of our favorite brews and see what y’all thought. Here we go: Continue reading
“Our Imperial Pilsner is designed and brewed by co-founder Dan Kopman and our first brewing team, Dave Miller and Stephen Hale. This Pilsner is a tribute to both original Head Brewer Dave Miller, author of Continental Pilsner, and to Schlafly Beer’s commitment to brewing classic beer styles.
A wallop of malt and hops in the classic style of the world’s most famous beer, our Imperial Pilsner is meant for savoring, sharing and enjoying anytime.”
*This beer was provided by the brewer
Schlafly Imperial Pilsner
Imperial Pilsner, ABV 9%
Sayeth the Guys:
KARL: Before we cracked into this beer, I honestly didn’t have any idea what the actual purpose of an imperial pilsner was. The style, for me, is supposed to be light-bodied and crisp and generally unchallenging, a turn-your-brain-off style of beer to simply swig and enjoy. Our last effort at an Imperial pilsner (and one of our very first reviews), the Boulevard offering of months ago, didn’t do much to change that opinion.
The Schlafly did. Continue reading
Central Waters’ “Brewers Reserve” Bourbon Barrel Aged Cherry Stout
Imperial Stout, ABV 10%
Sayeth the Guys:
KARL: …or “CWBBACS” for short. Continue reading
As beer-industry bombshells go, a pretty substantial one was dropped during a hearing last Wednesday involving Anheuser-Busch, distributors in Illinois and the Illinois Liquor Control Commission.
We told you about the hearing last week, but to quickly recap, it was held to discuss A-B’s 30% stake in City Beverage, which is made up for four distributors (Chicago, Markham, Arlington Heights and Bloomington). At the heart of the debate was whether A-B can still have a hand in a distributor now that there is a new law on the books seemingly preventing a brewer from also owning a distribution outlet.
For the record, A-B doesn’t actually have the 30% stake in City Beverage. WEDCO, or Wholesaler Equity Deveopment Corporation, a wholly owned subsidiary of A-B is actually on record as having the 30% stake in City Beverage. But here’s the aforementioned bombshell, and the thing that reportedly raised some serious eyebrows at the ILCC hearing:
There is NO record of WEDCO being registered in Illinois.
None. Zero. It is not a business licensed to do business in the Land of Lincoln. Continue reading
What? There’s more?
Wasn’t this put to bed over the summer when the Illinois General Assembly passed, and the governor signed, SB 754?
Self distribution, craft brewers licenses and the barrel production limits to be considered a craft brewer in the state that came along with the aforementioned legislation was actually a by-product of a much larger debate over beer in Illinois and who owns the distributor you get it from.
That debate will continue Wednesday before the Illinois Liquor Control Commission:
ILCC Open Meeting on
MondayWednesday, December 7, 3pm
The Illinois Liquor Control Commission has scheduled an open meeting to discuss two questions:
- What effect does the enactment of P.A. 97-0005 (SB 754) have on the ability of a Brewer or Non-resident Dealer, to hold an ownership interest in an Illinois distributor?
- If the law prohibits a Brewer and/or Non-resident Dealer from holding a distributor license, does Illinois administrative law permit the Illinois Liquor Control Commission to grant equitable relief to City Beverage, Illinois, LLC, owner of four distributorships, to allow for the continued 30% ownership interest by a brewer/non-resident dealer affiliated entity (Wholesale Equity Development Corp – WEDCO)?
To understand the significance of this hearing we need to rewind a ways back to 2010 when Anheuser-Busch announced it was buying its remaining stake in City Beverage. A-B, since 2005, had owned a 30% stake in the distributor, and last year they brokered a deal to buy the remaining 70%. But that deal hit a snag; the Illinois Liquor Control Commission. Continue reading
KARL: When it comes to beer, I really try not to get my hopes up. The beers that you really want to be or expect to be great rarely are, and more often than not it’s the ones that you have no preconceived notions about that end up being your new favorites or your standouts. (At least, that’s how it’s been for me, anyways.) However, I broke that personal rule when I heard about the City Provisions collaboration with Dark Horse where they were planning a sarsaparilla stout. Continue reading