But this isn’t just any pumpkin beer – it’s a Grand Pumpkin – part of a collaboration series celebrating the city’s “Beer City USA” title, which it shares with Asheville, North Carolina.
The first collaboration beer saw the brewers try their hand at a pale ale.
This time, according to MLive, brewers will have more flexibility in crafting their Grand Pumpkin than they did their Beer City Pale Ale, which was a shared recipe.
“It’s kind of everyone looking at one ingredient like you would with an ‘Iron Chef’ competition,” said [Wob] Wanhatalo, who, until this month was brewing at The Hideout Brewing Co.
“What can I do with the beer that best represents that ingredient, but also trying to be different from everyone else?” he said.
“The brewing culture is very collaborative in West Michigan,” said Barry VanDyke, co-owner of Harmony Brewing Co. “We enjoy each other’s company and we enjoy testing our skills against one another in a fun way. We’re hopeful that beer lovers will test out a few different versions and let us know what they think of them.”
The breweries taking part include:
- The Hideout Brewing Company – Grand Rapids
- The Mitten Brewing Company – Grand Rapids
- Harmony Brewing Company – Grand Rapids
- White Flame Brewing Company – Hudsonville
- Jaden James Brewing Company at Cascade Winery – Kentwood
- Pike 51 Brewing Company – Hudsonville
- The Michigan Beer Cellar – Sparta
- The B.O.B.’s Brewery – Grand Rapids
- HopCat – Grand Rapids
- Brewery Vivant – Grand Rapids
- Schmohz Brewing – Grand Rapids